Warstage - Samurai Wars
What is this?
The Warstage platform is:
- a real-time tactical game, simulating large-scale battles with a high degree of detail – available for web and mobile
- a network and server infrastructure for online play – making it possible to play these battles with friends
- a community – players using the game and infrastructure together with the forum, discord and other channels to arrange tournaments, campaigns, and other activities
Samurai Wars, previously available as a stand-alone app featuring the warfare of the Sengoku jidai period of medieval Japan, is now a Warstage module. More modules covering other time periods are in the works.
How do I play?
No, it's free to play single-player sandbox battles and to join online matches hosted by other players. If you want to host custom battles yourself, you need to get a Warlord Pass by supporting this game (see below).
Why should I donate?
Your support keeps the server infrastructure running and makes it possible to for us to continue developing the Warstage platform. You also get a Warlord Pass, valid 30 days for every $3 donated, and will be able to host custom battles.
Who's behind this?
The project is headed by Felix Ungman. He got the inspiration from tactical simulation games like Myth II: Soulblighter and the original Shogun: Total War, and especially the engagement of the online player communities that grew around them. Another example is Combat Mission: Beyond Overload, with its detailed simulation of WWII warfare (and somewhat cumbersome PBEM system). Although these games were pioneering the online multi-player mode, all of them still focused on the single-player mode as the primary one.
Frustrated by the missed opportunities with the multi-player potential of those early games he set out to design and build a platform according to the vision he had, with the following design goals:
- playing with and against other people is more fun
- the players are the experts – let them decide how to play
- casual and hardcore – combining intuitive visualization and gestures and high accessibility on web and mobile with complex mechanics and deep game play